Translate

11 December, 2013

Some changes would be great

Good day good people :)
I want to inform you that I've finished watching season 1 of "Adini Feriha Koydum" ("I named her Feriha"). (I've mentioned this show to you before.) I don't get why every Turkish show I've watched so far has to end with a death of a main character. Everything's great and than, of course, there's a gun and she/he dies. But fine. Not my topic for today. I saw a list of things we need to bring back in our lives. And I really think some of them are great and so unfairly forgotten. So, here it goes... Ten old fashioned dating habits we should make cool again:
1. Coming to the door to pick someone up. Meeting up always seems to be more casual and platonic. But generally, the 30 seconds it takes to get out of a car or cab and knock on the door makes a huge difference.
2. Trying to dress really nicely for a date. Whether or not we like to accept it, appearance does count for something. The other side will appreciate seeing you trying to look your best and putting effort in it.
3. Bringing tokens of affection to the first date. Now, not many girls (or guys) I know are that lucky to get this regularly. In fact, non of my friends, I think. It has become uncool because it's a gesture that confirms your interest, but isn't that the whole point of dating?
4. Going dancing that’s not jumping in some stifling club. What happened to dancing for the sake of dancing, like fun? Not essentially sex-on-a-dance-floor dancing. Slow dancing has been lost. And that's so romantic, people!
5. Bravely asking someone out and not calling it "hanging out". Or, very popular these days, "talking". "Oh, we’re just… talking." This is the best way to avoid having your heart broken because nothing is definite. But, it just ends up really confusing for everyone.
6. In addition, being clear about when you're "going steady". You know that awkward "So… Are we… You know… What are we?" talk. Classic. We should go back to asking if the other person would like to "go steady" or not. There's even that option in "The Sims", for God's sake. 
7. Romantic gestures like writing poems or giving something handmade. My poem would look something like "Roses are red, violets are blue, I have no idea what to do but I love you." But, anything you do will be great because you tried and you were thinking of that one person.
8. Turning your phone/laptop/other gadgets off and just being with the person. I can't even remember when was the last time I saw two people actually talking to one another while sitting together. Young people. Friends or more.
9. Asking permission for things. It used to be principle for people to say: "Oh, when can I see you?" Or: "When could I call you?" That's better than just assuming you can at any point. Trust me, a girl (I don't know about guys) will appreciate being asked if you can kiss her rather than grabbing her like a maniac.
10. Not assuming sex is to be had at any point in time. A date does not mean you'll have sex, and you shouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't happen because you should never assume that it will.
P.S. I really hope the original authors of this will not get mad at me for posting this, I've changed the post a bit. Their blog is on the right. All ides came from Kate Bailey. You can read about this in a "A Thought Catalog Original: Not A Match: My True Tales Of Online Dating Disasters" by Brian Donovan.

No comments:

Post a Comment