Translate

11 May, 2014

Prenuptial agreement

"A prenuptial agreement or shortly just prenup is a contract entered into prior to marriage, civil union or any other agreement prior to the main agreement by the people intending to marry or contract with each other. The content of a prenuptial agreement can vary widely, but commonly includes provisions for division of property and spousal support in the event of divorce or breakup of marriage. They may also include terms for the forfeiture of assets as a result of divorce on the grounds of adultery; further conditions of guardianship may be included as well." This is the official definition from Wikipedia. And now, my dilemmas. Two people are joining in the holy matrimony (marriage). One is rich the other one isn't. The rich one wants the other one to sign this papers. And there are two sides to this problem. If you're marrying somebody, you should be able to trust them. You should know that you're about to become "one person" and "what's mine is yours". You can't share the rest of your lives if you don't trust them enough to share your money and other goods and assets. So, in that case, the other person, the poor one, should be offended and angry. But then again... If the other person is joining this marriage for love and for the person himself/herself and not for the money, what's the problem? If there is no other reason but love for that marriage, a prenup is just a matter of caution and some kind of security for the future. God forbid that something goes wrong, and then what? You should always be secured for the future, especially if you earned that money yourself. It doesn't happen very often in normal lives and normal families. By normal I mean families that don't include famous actors, singers, models, football (or any other sport) players... So, I guess I don't have to worry about that. (Or, maybe some day I'll have to. Fingers crossed.) I think my favorite scenario about this is when one person hand over these papers and waits for the reaction. If the other one wants to sign it, it's a proof that they're not there for the money. If they don't... Oh well... I know test aren't a great idea in relationships, but you have to know who you are marrying, right? Anyhow, this is how I would react. Or, at least, I think I would react like this. I would never be in a relationship just for the money, so there would be a lot of love included. First problem solved. If my fiancé would ask me to sign the papers, I would. I would be kinda hurt and maybe angry for some time, but I would know that my feelings are true and money isn't the problem or the only reason for me to stay with that man. So, if there are any very rich guys out there, feel free to contact me. Just kidding... ;)
To give or not to give? To sign or nor to sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment